Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Think
"I have a dream. A dream that people will think for themselves, and not just follow the masses, or the person in from of them. Our society promotes standards. The standards of the nuclear family or the American dream. We even teach our children about right and wrong. Right and wrong was taught to us by our parents, and to them by their parents. That cycle keeps on going on until nobody even knows where it comes from. It could have been some rambling, crazed man who said 'This is right and this is wrong, because I say so'. I'm not saying that the concept of right and wrong is, well, wrong, I'm just saying that we don't know where it comes from. We don't know why we believe in it, it's just there. What I'm trying to do is think. Think why is this right, what defines right or what defines wrong. I'm just using that as an example for things we take for granted. Very few of us stop to think why we believe in god, or why we don't believe in god. Why we're democratic or republican. Why we are for or against abortion. Some people vehemently believe in abortion because somebody else told them to. Most people don't even know why they believe in god, just that their parents told them, “god exists.” So what I'm trying to do is to get people to think: Why do I believe in this, why should I do this... WHY. You just don't know until you ask".
-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment